It’s not what you know. It’s who you know. – the networking principal, right?
The truth is, you’ve got this. You’ve been networking all your life. Don’t believe me? You will once you read on…
How to Network Effectively? It’s Easier Than You Think.
How do you get to know someone? Think back to elementary school and what you did to make friends. Remember those days? Shy, perhaps awkward, most of us asked a version of:
- “Do you want to be my friend?”
- “Can you come over and play?”
- “Do you want to sit with me at lunch?”
Do you see how these simple questions we asked as kids that led to some of our best and strongest relationships apply as an adult? It’s that simple. Translate those elementary strategies we all used to grown-up statements, like:
- “I have tickets to the baseball game Friday. Can you join me?”
- “Let’s meet for lunch and learn more about what each of us does.”
- “Want to chat over a quick cup of coffee on Tuesday morning?”
Networking doesn’t have to be complicated. Really.
As older versions of our kid selves we sometimes let stuff get in the way. We over-complicate things. We do the ‘what-if’s’ until they’re running so wild in our heads that we quit even thinking about taking that first step.
But the first step is all you need to take to get the ball rolling: Just ask and get to know people. I already know what you’re thinking: that first ask is the most difficult. Once you get started, you’ll feel like a networking pro in no time.
Network Like a Pro With These Simple Tips
Here are your “take-action tips” for this week to “break the ice” with strangers. Try these openers at your next networking event after you introduce yourself.
- What interested you in this event?
- If you were to speak at an event like this, what would your topic be?
- Wow! That is _____________________. (compliment the person on something you notice about them.)
Start with your winning smile, hold out your hand and go for it!
Now…what are you waiting for? Go on –get out there and start networking! Try it today and let me know the results – you just might surprise yourself.